Thread: 245(i) Derivative Beneficiary!

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    8 Hrs 51 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    19 Secs

245(i) Derivative Beneficiary!

Hello,
    I'd like to know if anyone on this forum has been able to adjust under Section 245(i) with this EXACT scenario in terms of being the derivative beneficiary of an application filed on behalf of a parent. By exact scenario I mean the relationship of the original petitioner to the children.
    "US Citizen son filed I-130 for mother by the April 30, 2001 deadline. US citizen sibling (Mother's daughter) was 14 at the time her mother's I-130 was submitted. I'm a US Citizen, if I petitioned for her now can we use the mother's I-130 (as a derivative beneficiary) to qualify her under Section 245(i)?
    The reason why I'm looking for an exact scenario in terms of relationships is that I'm confused about what USCIS memos say on "derivative" beneficiaries versus "immediate" relatives of US Citizens not being considered derivative beneficiaries according to INA 203(d). I have heard of members on this forum with the following scenarios where children were protected under Section 245(i);
    Scenario 1. Employer files I-140 by April 30, 2001 for Principal Alien. Principal Alien later on marries USC. USC spouse petitions Principal Alien. Principal Alien and Principal Alien's children were considered grandfathered and qualified for Section 245(i).
    Scenario 2. USC brother files I-130 for sister (Principal Alien). Sister had underage children at the time. Sister (Principal Alien) later on marries USC. USC spouse now petitions for wife and children were also considered grandfathered under Section 245(i).
    My Scenario again is: USC son files I-130 for mother. Mother had underage children at the time. Child is now married to USC. Would wife be covered though Mother's petition even though Mother's petitioner originally is my wife's sibling (brother).
    Note the relationship from original petitioner to children. On scenario 1 it was an employer to children. Scenario 2 was an uncle of the children. Thank you so much and so sorry for the repetition but I would like to meet someone that felt in our scenario before we try to do anything with USCIS!
    Last edited by dcontto; 01-28-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Gloriosi
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Admin10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Wk 17 Hrs 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 55 Secs
    i found another document i had in addition to the other 2 i sent you. i accidently deleted your address.

A. USCIS Policy Pertaining to Section 245(i) of the Act
    USCIS field offices will apply Section 245(i) of the Act as follows:
    (1) Once an alien meets the requirements for grandfathering under 8 CFR 245.10, the alien continues to be grandfathered until the alien adjusts status.
    (2) A grandfathered alien is not limited to seeking adjustment of status solely on the basis of the qualifying immigrant visa petition or application for labor certification that initially grandfathered the alien. The grandfathered alien may also seek to adjust status on any other proper basis for which the alien is eligible.
    (3) Until a grandfathered alien adjusts status, there is no limit to the number of applications the grandfathered alien may file for adjustment of status under section 245(i) provided that the alien meets all of the requirements of 8 CFR 245.10, including payment of the $1,000 surcharge for every application filed.
    To illustrate, an alien beneficiary of a Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) that was filed on or before April 30, 2001 is considered to be a grandfathered alien and may apply to adjust status based on the I-130 petition. If the grandfathered alien is not yet eligible for adjustment of status based on the I-130 petition and later becomes the beneficiary of an approved Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker), the alien would be eligible to apply for adjustment of status based on the I-140 petition. Similarly, the grandfathered alien would also be eligible for adjustment of status under section 245(i) if the alien later wins a diversity visa. If the alien has been denied adjustment of status, has withdrawn or abandoned the application for adjustment of status, or has otherwise not adjusted under section 245(i), the alien remains grandfathered. The alien may apply for adjustment of status again if the alien meets the requirements of 8 CFR 245.10.
    B. General Requirements for Grandfathering
    To be considered grandfathered, an alien must satisfy the following requirements pursuant to 8 CFR 245.10:
    (1) The alien was the beneficiary of a qualifying immigrant petition or application for labor certification filed on or before April 30, 2001.
    Clarification of Certain Eligibility Requirements Pertaining to an Application to Adjust Status
    under Section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act
    HQOPRD 70/23.1
    Page 3
    (2) The qualifying immigrant visa petition or the qualifying application for labor certification was “properly filed” and “approvable when filed.”
    (3) The principal alien was physically present in the United States on December 21, 2000, if the alien’s qualifying immigrant visa petition or application for labor certification was filed between January 15, 1998 and April 30, 2001.

for my stepson we did have to pay the 1000 penalty because when we refiled he was now over age. there is more to it. i didnt want to post the whole thing because its over 5 pages

Gloriosi
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points5000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Wk 5 Days 14 Hrs 59 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    11 Mins 18 Secs
    dconnto:

Your situation is too complex to rely on advice from an online board. I recommend you consult with a qualified immigration attorney. While there may be people here with cases that at first glance seem similar to yours, there may be subtle differences that can come back to bite you. See a lawyer. Good luck.
    I am not a lawyer. Anything I post is not - and should not be taken as - legal advice, as I am not qualified to give legal advice. Anything I post is my laymans opinion only. Consult with a qualified immigration lawyer should you require actual legal guidance. Please do not PM me with immigration questions they will not be answered., Ask your questions on the board, as the public question and answer sessions may benefit someone else in the same situation as you.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    4 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Post same situation would appreciate any help

hi,
    I'm new to this forum and just read your thread I am in the same situation as above. My mother is the principal beneficiary her sister filed for her on april 30 2001. I was 13 at the time. I am now 21 and married to a united states citizen I am a derivative beneficiary under the 245 i act. However, I am not sure what I must include in my application for this I know I have to submit I 485 along with the supplement anything else? also how am i supposed to prove what day i entered in the United states if I dont have a passsport, since I entered illegaly and I don't have a I-194. Should I include a letter that states why I am not including a passport. what do you recommend thanks for any help.

Gloriosi
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Admin10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Wk 17 Hrs 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 55 Secs
    first you need to go through the instructions on the forms and make sure you have all the necessary initial evidence. for 245i you need to prove you were here prior to dec 2000. you also need to prove that there was an approvable petition filed for your mom. there are multiple threads posted by dcontto. there are multiple documents posted in those threads that can give you more information. the first try i used a lawyer. he screwed up the whole thing. the second go i did it myself.. my wife and stepson were both admitted under 245i. in dcontto's post i explained how i proved my stepsons eligibility.

administradora
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Most PopularAdmin
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,688 Times in 4,968 Posts
    Time Online
    2 Mths 3 Wks 11 Hrs 29 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 12 Mins 57 Secs
    I agree you need to speak with a good immigration attorney before you send anything in or start filing out forms. The last thing you want to do is accidentally miss something putting your adjustment chances at risk.

There is a link in my signature that has attorney contact information.

Thread Information