Thread: Tourist Visa Invitation Letters

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Recommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,729 Times in 3,213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    2 Mths 2 Wks 31 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 6 Mins 12 Secs
    My Mood
    Mellow

Tourist Visa Invitation Letters

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT HOW TO APPLY FOR A B VISA

It's commonly believed that people can invite or even apply for their family/friends to get a visitor visa. In reality, the burden falls on the person who wants to get the visitor visa. Although some consulates will accept a letter of invitation from US friends/family (more on that below), in general, the work for getting a visa needs to be done by the applicant.

The biggest obstacle in getting a visitor visa, particularly for those in Latin America, is that the law assumes they will try to overstay/abuse it. The following is from the US Dept of State:

[table] class="wysiwyg_cms_table_outer_border"
    |- class="wysiwyg_cms_table_outer_border_tr"
    | class="wysiwyg_cms_table_outer_border_td" | Qualifying for a Visitor Visa
    There are specific requirements which must be met by applicants to qualify for a visitor visa under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The consular officer at the embassy or consulate will determine whether you qualify for the visa.
    The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:
    • The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
    • That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
    • Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
    • Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
    • That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties that will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

|-
    [/table]

So the applicant needs to gather any evidence they can to demonstrate those factors above. Here is a slightly more specific list of what they can gather. Once they have those, they can begin the application process. You can read through this page for more details on the process, and read Cupcake's sticky here.
    As one piece of evidence, the applicant may want to submit a letter of invitation from their US family/friends. It is uncertain whether these are truly effective at all consulates, but there are some where it likely will help, and there's no evidence that a properly-worded one hurts, so if you choose to submit an invitation letter, you may want to use something like the following format.

Sample Invitation Letter

[table] width="400" class="wysiwyg_cms_table_outer_border" style="width: 400px"
    |- class="wysiwyg_cms_table_outer_border_tr"
    | class="wysiwyg_cms_table_outer_border_td" | [Date]

Consular Officer
    United States [Consulate or Embassy]
    [City, Country]

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is ______________ and I am a US Citizen[or lawful permanent resident] residing at [address] in [city, state]. I have been employed at [employer] since [date] and currently earn [$annual income] per year. I have attached evidence of my citizenship (or lawful permanent resident status) and employment.

I would like to invite the following individual(s) to visit me between [date] and [date] for the purpose of [event, family reunion, etc.].

LAST NAME, First name (as in passport), date of birth
    Relationship to letter writer (you)

Please assist [him/her/them] in receiving a tourist visa so that they may [attend the event/visit me as my
    guest]. During their stay in the US, they will [proposed activities: connect with grandchildren, experience North American culture, visit landmarks, etc.]. They will return to [home country] on [date].

My guest(s) will stay at [my residence, or other location] during the duration of their visit, and I will oversee their expenses while in the US, including but not limited to food, housing, transportation, and medical needs. I will ensure that they depart the US on or before [date mentioned above].

Thank you for your time and kind consideration of the attached visa application (s).

Sincerely,

[signature]
    [typed name]
    |-
    [/table]
    Last edited by Los G; 12-09-2011 at 01:25 AM.
    Please post your immigration questions on the forum, not in a private message. Always consult an experienced lawyer before filing.
    *If you believe you or someone on your behalf checked the "US Citizen" box on an employment document, please do not send a private message. Talk to a trusted lawyer about what could happen. *
    Getting StartedGetting Legal Status for Your Loved OneWaiver Eligibility
    Recommended Lawyers Visa BulletinHelp from Elected OfficialsTranslations

Consular ProcessKnow before filingSpouse/Fiance Petition Petition Processing TimesNVC Stage Medical/InterviewI-601 WaiverAfter Approval
    Other Routes Adjustment of Status in the US Direct Consular Filing

Living Outside the USLife in MexicoMoving to Canada Moving to Other Countries

Officially banned for life w/no waiver (6cii)- but we don't give up! Read our story
    Lawyers I've worked with and highly recommend: Laurel Scott Laura Fernandez Lizz Cannon

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Los G For This Useful Post:

Amenspanglish (07-05-2012),Aramire1 (12-08-2011),candela (10-15-2013),chimichica (11-07-2012),JammaRek (07-04-2013),MaraYDelBarrio (03-16-2012),MarthaJimenez (02-06-2012),pepi (10-10-2013),poetictragedyo4 (05-27-2012),starcrossed11 (05-23-2013),steph* (08-20-2014),TamHam (05-25-2012),tchi5025 (05-09-2014)

Thread Information